Sunday, August 31, 2008

September!


I have been waiting for fall since... well, winter! I am crazy-excited about the light, the leaves, and the smells that come with the season.

For you today, a special treat. One of my favorite songs, just as fresh today as it was in 1978, and my best fall recipe. You cannot have a bad day if you have some pumpkin butter on a toasted english muffin (also great in yogurt, or atop ice cream). It will also make your house smell amazing, and your spouse very impressed.

Pumpkin Butter

One 29-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1+1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup mild honey
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice

Dump all the ingredients into a slow cooker and stir until well mixed. Don't worry about lumps of sugar, they'll melt into the butter during cooking. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the pot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Remove the lid and let cook on HIGH for an additional 30-60 minutes to reach the desired thickness.

Turn off the cooker and let the pumpkin butter cool to room temperature in the pot. Scrape with your spatula into jars or other air-tight containers. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks, or freeze (in plastic containers) for up to 3 months.

I often make a double batch in my big slow cooker, saving half for myself and giving the rest as gifts.


September - Earth Wind & Fire

Also, click here for a music video that will crack you the heck up.

5 comments:

Mickey D. said...

This sounds so fantastic! I simply MUST make this.

Viva la Fall!

Anonymous said...

I'll prep the english muffins!

Kelly said...

Thanks for posting the song. I love that song and listening to it today (the one day I have to work this week) actually made me smile. By the way this is kelly72206 from the pets board.

Michelle said...

YUM! I will trade you a jar of this for a jar of strawberry freezer jam. C'mon, it's the neighborly thing to do.

nital said...

heh, my FIL was just talking about pumpkin butter the other day. i'm making a double batch this year, because FIL stole what little was left after t-day dinner.